I replaced it with a different model and manufactuer cd
drive. Also it does make it to the second level part of the
installation. The first part where I am asked to select
language and type of installation , reccomended or expert
seems to work just fine. The problem is in the next stage. it
hangs on detecting hard drive. At this point I can still use the
mouse pointer that appears as a wrist wach however I am
unable to do anything else. To get out of the installation I
have to do a hard restart.
  I really dont understand the fine points of installing a OS
but it seems to me that if it was a issue with a driver for the
cd the installation would not make it through the first stage.
  Please correct me if I am wrong.
Just trying to mae some sense of it all and maybe learn a bit
along the way.

    Thanks for all the help so far.
    Marc

>Marc,
>       Yeap, its a driver issue, its the limited amount of
drivers loaded into 9.0
>kernel.  Hmmmm, did you replace the CDROM with the
same model of the CDROM?
>Search on Mandrake for errate on your Hardware
manufacturers.  I thought we
>were done with this crap years ago........
>

>On Monday 16 December 2002 06:59 am, Marc wrote:
>> 12/13/02 12:18:26 PM, Vasiliy Boulytchev
>>
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Gentlemen,  I have had this error in the past, but I
believe

>> with FreeBSD 4.6.
>>
>> >I do NOT remember what exactly it was that I did.  OH
>>
>> YEAH!!! I think it was
>>
>> >the CDROM.  Believe it or not.   Replace the IDE
cdrom,

>> and install will fly
>>
>> >right through,   unbelievable, but im 99 percent sure
thats

>> what i did,
>>
>> >because Ive swapped a few HDs and it was doing the
same

wrote:
> [...]
machines.
tried
IDE

>>       I tried switching the CD drive to master, no luck Then
>> replaced the CD drive with a new one fresh out of the box
>> and still no luck. Tried mandrake 8.2 instead of 9.0 and
still
>> no luck. I then tried to install 8.1 IT WORKED!!!
>>    After that I tried to upgrade to 9.0 and back to the
same
>> old story, the installation hung in the same spot again.
>>   Anyone have any idea what is going on and how to fix
it?