I don't know if this is relevant but I had a similar problem with my g/fs machine which turned out to be the MS blue USB optical mouse she was using (she liked the colour). In desperation I took everything back to basics an used my Logitech USB mouse and everything went thru fine. I was curious and tried a complete re-install with the MS USB mouse and got the problem back again. Tried again with the Logitech mouse and no further problems. I can only suggest that mdk 9 is touchy about the 'rodent' you use as I've noticed previously others had mouse problems after 9 was released.
May not be the problem but just sharing my experience with the list.

HTH

Graham

Marc wrote:

I replaced it with a different model and manufactuer cd drive. Also it does make it to the second level part of the installation. The first part where I am asked to select language and type of installation , reccomended or expert seems to work just fine. The problem is in the next stage. it hangs on detecting hard drive. At this point I can still use the mouse pointer that appears as a wrist wach however I am unable to do anything else. To get out of the installation I have to do a hard restart.
I really dont understand the fine points of installing a OS but it seems to me that if it was a issue with a driver for the cd the installation would not make it through the first stage.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Just trying to mae some sense of it all and maybe learn a bit along the way.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Marc

Marc,
Yeap, its a driver issue, its the limited amount of
drivers loaded into 9.0
kernel. Hmmmm, did you replace the CDROM with the
same model of the CDROM?
Search on Mandrake for errate on your Hardware
manufacturers. I thought we
were done with this crap years ago........