On Tuesday 17 Dec 2002 16:35, Paul Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi, I'm sorry if this has been covered, I just resubscribed.
>
> My dad recently switched to Linux, and he's been hinting to EVERYBODY
> that he wants a DV camera for Christmas.  If he gets one, will he have
> trouble using it with his box?  I think he wanted that ultra small
> Sony.  Is there even video editing software for Linux?
>
> - Paul Rodriguez

I've got a Panasonic NV DS28B its no longer a current model but it works
fine with linux (lm9.0 here using IEEE1394). Kino is fine for linux, I use
0.5 but I see that 0.6 is available. I can import video to my box do
editing (cut, paste trim etc) and rudimentary effects( create title
sequences from jpegs from gimp, do fades,wipes etc) then either export
back to the camera (make sure the camera has an import facility) or save
to disk then convert to mpeg4 or other formats with transcode or mencoder.

Avidemux is good for splitting files replacing sound etc (but not for raw
video) and I hear good reports for cinellera but I have not used it.

HTH
Pete
Ardnamurchan    Scotland