I believe the primary language for most of Linux is C.  You may find
that some of the add-ons and other applications are written in other
languages.  Emacs, for example, uses Lisp.

Ken Wilson
First Law of Optimization: The speed of a nonworking program is
irrelevant
(Steve Heller, 'Efficient C/C++ Programming')