On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 16:01, Greg wrote:
> Some isp will not give out the dns numbers  I have had two like that
> Greg

If an ISP (or the idiot tech support person sitting behind the phone)
won't give you the DNS servers for an ISP, you can get them from
INTERNIC. Every DNS server is registered there. You can also get
"creative" and trace through a domain.

I've done consulting and work for several ISP's in the Dallas area -
they were generally very particular about NOT supporting Mac's, OS/2 and
*nix boxes - and it basically boiled down to lack of training or lack of
documentation pertaining to their own systems.

One that I consulted with, which is fairly well known in and around
Dallas, only started to support Mac's, OS/2 and *nix because someone
(ahem) provided them with the necessary documentation - so that the
$10.00/hr monkey sitting behind the phone could read through it and tell
customers what to do.

Dial-ins have not changed much in the past 12 years. Before "Windows"
machines dialing into slip/plip/ppp servers, *nix boxes and OS/2 boxes
were dialing in. Doesn't it seem rather strange that an ISP would define
their dial-up's by OS?

--
Fri Dec 20 16:05:00 EST 2002
  4:05pm  up 46 min,  4 users,  load average: 2.93, 4.47, 3.33

   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
--------------------------------
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

They may have been ugly. they may have been evil. But when it came to
poetry in motion, the Things had all the grace and coordination of a
deck-chair.
        -- Meet the creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions
           (Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites)