I love the idea of training.. if Mandrake put an expert in an irc channel
24/7 or even for specific times each day.. and his job was to answer club
members questions.. and perhaps train them on stuff when the questions quiet
down... (common ones could be refered to a mandrake page with the common
answers...)...

Training is what would make mandrake club longterm profitable.. but why
would they listen to this suggestion...

Hell, they could do an online course..and offer a printable certificate at
the end.. it probably won't mean alot real world.. but I bet they'd get
swarms of signups if they did it. (I'd sign up too... just so I could lurk'n
learn..

As for debian and its long term viability....

Debian is one of the oldest distro's.. its alot older then mandrake..

Also, the guys that do it do it for one reason.. they love it..

There is no money to be concerned about.. also, every ISP I have delt with..
and thats alot over the years, not just as a customer, but as a consultant..
for my clients and others have used Debian..

Truth be told,, I think that if it were possible to check,,, debian would
probably be ahead of Redhat as far as installed base goes...

Just not on the desktop.. most of the mail admins I'm sharing mailing lists
are using Debian (the linux users that is.)

Debian is probably the purest open source project of them all... at least
thats my impression.

If mandrake goes.. I'll use Debian or Gentoo for servers and redhat for
desktop.. currently I use Mandrake for both.. which is why I don't want to
change.

but having said that.. there is no free lunch... if they want my money..
they give me something I want.. thats all there is to it.. I am not
interested in games much.. I don't want software I can get free elsewhere..

I want training.. in various areas.. I am a sucker for learning.. I've
taught myself 4 programming languages in the last 2 years.. just because I
could... The chance to learn stuff.. anything of interest.. is worth my
dollars.

I know mandrake has alot of online docs.. but the way they have gone about
it is so haphazzard that most people have no idea its there or what its
for....

hmmm.. what else could they do???

I know.. hold off longer on the final releases of mandrake... instead of
rushing them out.. take more snapshots.. offer them to only the club or
cooker members as ISO's   they could give something to the club members and
get something in return as well.. more bug testing.. I like aspects of 8.2
and 9.0.. but nothing is better then 7.2 so far... (I still have lots of
servers running it.)

One last thing they should do off the top of my head...
They should copy M$ and release a searchable knowledgebase..  not 100000
docs spread all over the place.. but a searchable database of issues and
their solitions.. with unique id's and all..

make it available to clubmembers... (in my opinion, the M$ knowledgebase is
the only worthwhile thing they have done in years.)

Thats the stuff that will have people signing up...

rgds

Frank