-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Sascha Noyes
Sent: Sunday, 22 December 2002 8:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mandrake Raising More Capital

On Sunday 22 December 2002 10:41 am, Franki wrote:
> I love the idea of training.. if Mandrake put an expert in an irc channel
> 24/7 or even for specific times each day.. and his job was to answer club
> members questions.. and perhaps train them on stuff when the questions
> quiet down... (common ones could be refered to a mandrake page with the
> common answers...)...
>

> Training is what would make mandrake club longterm profitable.. but why
> would they listen to this suggestion...
>
> Hell, they could do an online course..and offer a printable certificate at
> the end.. it probably won't mean alot real world.. but I bet they'd get
> swarms of signups if they did it. (I'd sign up too... just so I could
> lurk'n learn..

That is basically what got Mandrake into the bad position they are in right
now, e-learning. (And no - they didn't get "swarms of signups")

> As for debian and its long term viability....
>
> Debian is one of the oldest distro's.. its alot older then mandrake..
>
> Also, the guys that do it do it for one reason.. they love it..
>
> There is no money to be concerned about.. also, every ISP I have delt
> with.. and thats alot over the years, not just as a customer, but as a
> consultant.. for my clients and others have used Debian..
>
> Truth be told,, I think that if it were possible to check,,, debian would
> probably be ahead of Redhat as far as installed base goes...
>
> Just not on the desktop.. most of the mail admins I'm sharing mailing
lists
> are using Debian (the linux users that is.)
>
> Debian is probably the purest open source project of them all... at least
> thats my impression.
>
> If mandrake goes.. I'll use Debian or Gentoo for servers and redhat for
> desktop.. currently I use Mandrake for both.. which is why I don't want to
> change.
>
> but having said that.. there is no free lunch... if they want my money..
> they give me something I want.. thats all there is to it.. I am not
> interested in games much.. I don't want software I can get free
elsewhere..

Mandrake's core focus is on delivering a Linux distro that has broad
hardware
support, is easy to set up and administer, and is committed to free
software.
The idea of the club is to support Mandrake in this goal. Quite a few people
today have broadband and a cd writer (heck - you don't actually even need a
cd writer), and therefore have no need for boxed sets, besides the
additional
software that is in it. The club is a way for Mandrake users to support them
directly, without diluting the money with costs for packaging and delivery.
Everything else on Mandrakeclub is an _incentive_ to join, and not the core
reason. If you honestly feel that you are giving Mandrake a free lunch by
joining the club - then so be it.

- --
Please encrypt all correspondence.
PGP key available from: