On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:57:09 -0600
Steve Jeppesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Way to go!
>
> Could you take the time here and document what you did to get it
> working please?  I have the HP 3300c and never got it to work either.
>
> I have been reading along about this, but nothing looked familier to the
> steps I made my attempt on about  year ago.
>
> TIA if you can
> Steve

First, I must say I run Linux on a different machine, now;
anyway I found out just recently some little more to do during tarballs
installation...

Here what I did, after extrating sane files, my choice in my home directory

./configure -enable-parport-directio -enable-translations
make
make install
ldconfig

moved down  in /tools directory then typed

./umax_pp -p -t 1

the device was detected; so I installed sane-frontends and xsane from tarballs, the
usual way;
edit umax_pp.conf (port0x378 and option astra 1220)  and dll.conf (added umax_pp);
then ran

xsane umax:0x378
(or xscanimage umax_pp:0x378)

as said, it works as superuser only...