--- Robin Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I normally cut posts I answer (good netiquette) but in this case I'll
> leave it intact, just in case anyone didn't read it the first time.
> This is the most intelligent thing I've read on the various lists I'm
> subscribed to for a long time.

Sir Robin:

Geez!  Thanks!  Very sacred praise, considering the source.  :)

> Remember the Japanese proverb: "Zen mind is beginner's mind".  I became
> an expert in linguistics when I got my MA many years ago, and haven't
> learnt much since.  I'm a beginner in Perl, and am still learning useful
> things.
>
> There is no such thing as a "dumb newbie question". If you're a newbie,
> it is acceptable - nay, necessary - to ask questions that would be dumb
> coming from a Perl-monk, kernel-hacker, TeXpert, sysadmin or whoever.  I
> have answered questions with "Click on 'Help', then select 'User Guide',
> then go to section 6.2".  If you know your stuff, it doesn't take that
> much longer than typing "RTFM", and it wins friends.

My favorite teacher in high school was my physics teacher, and his most valued
quote was, "The only stupid question is no question."  He drilled into us that we
should always ask questions, no matter how awkward they might seem.

He also used to say, "There's the right way, the wrong way, and then there's MY
way.  Guess which way we do things in my class? "  But that's neither here nor
there...   ;)

> Quick test:
>
> If you think vim is a cleaning agent, you're a newbie and shouldn't be
> ashamed of it. If you think vim is an attempt to dumb down the
> crystalline purity of vi, then you should think very carefully before
> responding to newbie questions with "RTFM" or the like.  Remember, there
> are hearts to be broken out there, and every dissed linux-newbie is a
> potential XP customer.
>
> Sir Robin the Humble

Amen, brother.  Sir Robin, would you now please lead us in prayer....

:)

> --
> "Do unto others what you would like others to do unto you. And have fun
> doing it."
> - Linus Torvalds
>
> Robin Turner
> IDMYO,