g wrote:

John Richard Smith wrote:

Just as a way of final conclusion on the subject of freeserve.
Their claim that I have too many appliances connected to my one
telephone line
and that, they say, is the reason I am being constantly cut off.
Today I conducted some experiments.
I disconnected every appliance except for one telephone and one dialup
modem computer connection.

testing as you have done is a way of finding problems that may occur if
you had all appliances off hook at same time. tho i would doubt that you
would when you are using computer and modem.

a problem that can arise and cause a modem to drop off from line noise
is 'total line resistance'. this resistance builds by each connection,
as well as total line length.

This I can certainly empathise with at most I seem to have 4 computers, and up to 7
phones all connected together to one external line . Of course only one appliance is ever
connected at any one time, but that does mean 11 junctions. Some time ago it was
suggested to me by someone, I seem to remember it was BT , that is the line
provider here in the uk, that I can have the current upped, I believe, correct me if I'm
wrong , that uk telephone lines are 50v , but anyway I requested it and they were said
to of increased the current. But the act of removing so many appliances, that is going
down to just 2, one computer and one telephone meens that there can only of been
two live junctions, the jack plug removed for all the others means the relevant line
end in an electrical halt and a dead end , no current then passes over the other 9 junctions
at all, and so the resistance will not opperate.

I am willing to admit that a second line would be desirable, if for no other reason than
that it would be easier to seperate the internet connection from telephone speach line
use. However since we seldom use more than one appliance at a time it might be easier
and cheaper to look into ways of boosting the line current around the building.
However all this still leaves me with doubts at to the suggestion we have too many
appliances, in all the years that we have had these number of appliances BT has never
suggested it is a sin to have more than 4 appliances connected at a time. My gut
feeling is that freeserve are cutting down the useability of there standard fixed price
unmetered service, in an attempt to push you to buy there highly expensive broadband
services.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I welcome them all.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]