On Wednesday 25 December 2002 02:46 pm, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 06:41, Dennis & Sue wrote:
> > So I formatted, and got rid of windows 2000, Loaded Windows 98, And
> > reinstalled my boot loader. Here is the tale of woe :
> >
> > Windows 98 required too many reboots to count. It took me over 2 hours to
> > load the O.S., install the video driver, the sound card driver, antivirus
> > ,firewall, camera software, and cdr software.
> > I have not yet installed Office, Winzip, or anything else, ( At this
> > point I'm not sure I'll even bother ).
> >
> >  Installing and configuring  Mandrake with all the bells and whistles,
> > with OO, and KOffice, and everything else took about 1 hour,  Maybe
> > slightly longer but not much, as I recall.
> >
> > Windows boot up is sloooow. The whole thing is cumbersome and , well....
> > ehhhhhh, ( We've only been running Mandrake full time for about 5-6
> > months now ).
> > Anyway, After doing all of this ( rebooting between everything of course
> > ), On the final reboot the damn thing goes into a ....... BSOD.
> > HaHaHaHaHa. I can't believe that at one time this was the best we could
> > do.
> > What the hell were we thinking ?
> > It took me about 10 minutes to reload lilo ( I did an upgrade and picked
> > up a couple packages ), and get back to where we belong.
> > Now I'm thinking about dual booting something real with Mandrake, or
> > repartitioning and giving all 40 gigs to Mandrake, because THAT just
> > hurt.
>
> It is sad to realize that there are millions and millions of people that
> think the MS solution is the "end all" solution - until they see
> something different.
>
> Like buying a Volvo station wagon - ya'd never think about it until you
> get in an accident with the kids in the car - THEN you're buying the
> Volvo station wagon...(bad analogy, but I though it was cool).
>
> Think of it this way:
>
> Windows users are like robots - when they hunger, they walk into Maccas
> and order a meal - it is delivered - they eat it. Never once thinking
> about how shitty the meal is, or what the meal is lacking. When they're
> shown that they can cook a steak and potatoes and veggies and make a
> salad and eat THAT instead - it just takes the time to make it - all of
> a sudden their world changes...they have something more fulfilling and
> they've cooked it themselves...all the while wondering why in the hell
> they were eatting Maccas this whole time...

Now I still have problems with Linux, and don't understand much about it
really. And my camera still isn't supported. And at times it is difficult and
frustrating for me. But atleast it doesn't explode on contact.
The way dependencies aren't handled is a pain, If you grab something it ought
to either have the necessary libraries, or provide a means to get them
somewhat easily.
None the less, with all it's warts Linux is still my choice.