On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 02:44, Anthony wrote:
> Hi. I just installed Mandrake 9. Everything seems to be working
> except....
>
> The only way to get the dial up connection to work is to first disable
> the network card. This is a plain Internet dial up to SBC, using a
> Creative 56k ModemBlaster. I assume it is possible  to have both
> working at the same time since you even do it with Windows!

...someone can catch the one above - I do it manually and have hacked
the scripts to do so because mine did the same and well, I can't have
that...

> Second, I want to be able to able to browse my Windows 2000 network
> from the Linux box. Is Samba the way to do this? I have looked at the
> instructions and it seems quite confusing. Is there any easier way? I
> just want to be able to retrieve video, mp3s and docs.

You can edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file, and change the workgroup name
there - that will allow you AS A CLIENT to browse your Windows network -
now, on the other hand, when you want to use the linux box as a
server/peer to the Windows network, there are some other modifications
that need to be made in Samba...but for client browsing, that will do
you.

--
Fri Dec 27 02:50:00 EST 2002
  2:50am  up 1 day, 17:35,  5 users,  load average: 0.67, 0.39, 0.34

"That boy's about as sharp as a pound of wet liver"
                -- Foghorn Leghorn