On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> Does a Linux-Mandrake 6.0 server installation automatically set up an FTP
> server?
>
> I have tried to FTP connect to Linux, from my WinNT box, using MS IE as my
> FTP client.  It won't work.  I have tried both anonymous and real account
> details. (sorry, haven't got the exact error msg here).
>
> Where would I look for the FTP server software on my system?

Firstly make sure ftp is defined in /etc/inetd

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a

then check and make sure the binary is in place.

> I have a book that pointed me to a file that maps requests for different
> TCPIP ports to different software servers.  Port 21 is mapped to TCPD which
> I understand to be an access monitoring system - how might I check that the
> requests are being properly forwarded from TCPD to FTP?

Port 21 is for ftp connections port 20 is for ftp-data, check those
in /etc/services

Check also what your system logs are saying when you try to ftp to
that machine, possably in /var/log*, check /etc/syslog.conf to see
just where and which file is used, i presume mandrake uses that same
files as Redhat which are the ones i have quoted.