Hi Colin,

Hardware modem detection in ML is patchy at best. You need to run Linuxconf. Look in the application menu under:
Configuration>Other>LinuxConf....

Once up and running, click on:
Peripherals>Modem>and then click on the detect button in the dialog box. Unless you have some weird modem, it should easily be detected and then save the changes when LinuxConf asks you to.

Then run KPPP in the start menu at:
Networking>Remote Access>KPPP

When KPPP starts, click setup>modem and then query your modem to make sure it is set up properly. Set up your dialup properties in KPPP and then hit connect and you should be good as gold.

Regards,

Jason Greenwood

Colin McElhatton wrote:

Hi,

I have recently installed Mandrake 9.0 on my Athlon XP Based system but I am having problems installing my Hardware Conceptronic 56K Modem (which I have have verified that should work with Linux). Formerly I had a software modem (at the time of installing mandrake 9.0).
When I went through the FAQs I came across a utility called setserial which I also discovered was not installed with Mandrake when I first installed it. Is there a way to get Mandrake 9.0 to recognise the presence of my modem so that I can get to surfing the net with Mandrake?

I am a total newbie to these kind of problems so I would appreciate any information that might facilitate the installation process.

Best Regards,

Colin McElhatton AIMIS email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]