I have this new usb storage device , a reader which
KDE CC - info - usb devices detects as,

Generic USB Storage Device

Manufacturer: Generic
Serial #: 0AEC305000001A007

class 0 (interface)
subclass 0
protocol 0
usb version 1.16

vendor ID Oxaec (Neodio)
Product ID 0x5010 (ND5010 Card Reader)
Revision 1.0

speed 12 Mbits/s
channels 0
Max. Packet Size 0

What do I do next to get mandrake to read the media.
I guess I have to create a device somewhere like /mnt/usbstorage
and point it in some way to the way the system recognises it.

John

Later ,

One practical difference is that the bus has changed dramatically,

cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.11a32 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg
Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'Generic ' 'USB Storage-SMC ' '0090' Removable Disk
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *
scsibus1:
1,0,0 100) *
1,1,0 101) *
1,2,0 102) 'PIONEER ' 'DVD-ROM DVD-116 ' '1.22' Removable CD-ROM
1,3,0 103) 'MITSUMI ' 'CR-48X9TE ' '1.0C' Removable CD-ROM
1,4,0 104) *
1,5,0 105) *
1,6,0 106) *
1,7,0 107) *

and for some reason xcdroast/cdrecord is not happy with working
with the new reader and writer, scsibus1 delineation.I'm a bit
puzzled by this.I don't see why it shouldn't work with it, after
all xcdrecord recognises it. What should I do about it.

John

EVEN MORE LATER

Whatever the problem, it lies somewhere with xcdroast rather than cdrecord , because I can write on the command line in cdrecord, where
I give it the correct bus address as part of the command.I think
xcdroast will need upgrading.A pitty really, and a bit odd as xcdroast
definately detects the correct bus address, it just refuses to use
it.

John

John

--