I am struggling with a USB card reader just the same. One thing I have learned is that at the end of fstab you MUST leave one blank line or you will have major system problems...I know I did.

Cheers

Jason

PS, that's what it means by no new line...

John Richard Smith wrote:

This is what usbview shows,

Gdk-WARNING **: Creating pixmap from xpm with NULL window and colormap

Generic USB Storage Device
Manufacturer: Generic
Serial Number: 0AEC305000001A002
Speed: 12Mb/s (full)
USB Version: 1.10
Device Class: 00(>ifc )
Device Subclass: 00
Device Protocol: 00
Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 16
Number of Configurations: 1
Vendor Id: 0aec
Product Id: 5010
Revision Number: 1.00

Config Number: 1
Number of Interfaces: 1
Attributes: 80
MaxPower Needed: 100mA

Interface Number: 0
Name: usb-storage
Alternate Number: 0
Class: 08(stor.)
Sub Class: 06
Protocol: 50
Number of Endpoints: 2

Endpoint Address: 01
Direction: out
Attribute: 2
Type: Bulk
Max Packet Size: 64
Interval: 0ms

Endpoint Address: 82
Direction: in
Attribute: 2
Type: Bulk
Max Packet Size: 64
Interval: 0ms

location of usbdevfs devices file /proc/bus/usb/devices

I tried,

fstab - automount
=====
with line,
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/reader vfat auto,user,fat=12 0 0

mount -a
[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab
mount: special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist

icon mount,
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab
mount: special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist

fstab - automount
=====
with line
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/reader vfat noauto,owner,ro,user 0 0

mount -a
[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab

icon mount,
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab
mount: special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist

fstab - supermount
=====
with line,
/mnt/reader /mnt/reader supermount dev=/dev/sdb1,fs=vfat,exec,--,user,umask=0,fat=12,sync,dev,suid 0 0

mount -a
[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab

icon mount,
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab

These are only my guesses.Suggestions welcomed.

John