Dennis; Your setup is almost correct. First of all, is your firewall/router a PC or an
appliance? Either way, I suggest you modify your set up as follows;

1) Cablemodem to switch - eth0 (using DHCP-client) - Your ISP will probably want to
assign an IP address for you. Use the Cat5 cable they provided for this connection -
cable is probably 5 or 6 feet long and it came with the cablemodem.

2) Assuming you have the ability to re-configure your firewall/router, change the IP
address related to "eth1" to 192.168.0.1, and make sure that all PC's use this IP as
their Gateway IP. Connect a straight-through Cat5 cable from eth1 to the switch's
input or to a standard input on the switch if it doesn't have a port labelled
"Uplink". Please note that some switches will have 2 ports connected together by a
small line (graphic line, not an electronic line). This usually means that you can use
one port or the other BUT NOT BOTH. One will usually be labelled "UpLink" and the
other will be a standard port.

3) Connect all other PC's to the switch making sure that none of them use 192.168.0.1
as their IP address - it's already been used by your firewall/router, and can be seen
by the other computers. Again, I stress,...Make sure that you set all other machines
to use 192.168.0.1 as their Gateway IP, and make sure that NONE of them use
192.168.0.1 as their own IP.

4) Make sure that your firewall/router allows for I.C.S. (Internet Connection
Sharing), or N.A.T. (Network Address Translation). While you're at it, make sure that
you set your DNS IP adresses on each computer for the DNS servers of your ISP.

If you're running a PC as your firewall/router, check the configuration so that it
allows for I.C.S. or N.A.T., and restart it. Check your Firewall/Router for an
Internet connection, and if that works, you know that all other machines should now be
connected. If they can't connect, it's because the firewall/router is not allowing
them to, and you'll need to either read your owner's manual, or send back aonther
email with a detailed breakdown of how the Firewall/Router PC is configured.

More info regarding the Firewall/Router would be an asset, here. Is it an appliance?
If so, what brand and model. Is it a PC? If so, which firewall product and O/S is
running on it?

Hope this helps!

Lanman

On 1/1/2003 at 5:11 PM Dennis Myers wrote:

>Below is the way I think my network should be wired. However, I can not
>get
>anything to connect  with the set up shown. What I have is both eth0 and
>eth1
>on the firewall going into the switch and then an uplink cable going to
>the
>cablemodem. If I wire the way I think it should be I can not ping the
>router
>or connect to the internet.  All computers can connect and function fine
>with
>the wrong set up. However, I don't feel comfortable that my firewall is
>really protecting me.  This has to be some simple thing I am doing wrong
>but
>I have tried for months to make it work and no go. Any ideas or howtos
>that
>might clear the mud from my mind?  Suggestions are appreciated.
>

>                                                       cablemodem
>                                                       xx.xx.xx.xxx  eth1
>                                                       firewall/router
>                                                       192.168.0.5  eth0
>                                                       network switch
>                                               ____________________
>                                               |               |               |
>                                   192.168.0.3     .0.5                .0.1
>

>--
>Dennis M.  linux user # 180842

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Dan LaBine