Ühel kenal päeval (neljapäev, 2. jaanuar 2003 14:21) kirjutasid sa:
>    I have 9.0 installed as a dual boot installation with windoze 98. The
> sound is working ok in windoze but I sant get a thing from it in  ML9.0
>    Hard Drake is deticting a VT8233 [ AC97 Audio Controler] but I am
> getting no sound at all not even startup sounds for KDE

Now first thing to check is always whether you have unmuted channels :-))
This is by far the most widespread sound problem in Linux. KMix is good for
that.

Other than that - I have the same sound chip. 9.0 got it recognized and it
also worked except for some games.

You could try latest alsa drivers - www.alsa-project.org. Look for
instructions specific to your chip. They have very good step-by-step
instructions that are suitable for complete newb with standard intelligence
and some time at hand :-) This will require downloading and compiling three
files, modifying your modules.conf and editing or creating .asoundrc file in
your home directory. Given the quality of instructions you can do it fast and
it is also great educational experiment.

Conclusion - it seems VT8233 is not best-supported piece of hardware and
requires extra work but will work for most purposes.

Wahur