On Thursday 02 January 2003 05:26 am, you wrote:

> Erylon - the rpm that Tom recommended has screwed up my system as regards
> java.  I think the links and path are wrong.  Can you please list the files
> that I may need to check/edit?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anne

I've never used that rpm, so I defer to Tom on that.  I can speculate that
the rpm didn't remake the java link to the moz plugin directory, though (I am
assuming you only use java for your web browsers. Other than for that,
most people don't even need java).  If you know where the rpm made the java
directory, you can manually re-make the link correctly.  As an aside, I've
found that #ln -s /usr/javaplugindirectory/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins     when done globally, can cause the plugin
directory to be hosed when mozilla is upgraded, forcing a delete and
re-install of moz.  This is a minor irritation, and its probably a good idea
to delete the old mozilla first anyway--just my experience ymmv.

If you don't actually need a jvm on your machine for running a 3rd party
program, Kaffee is o.k. to keep.   Do a   #java -version  and
see if you still get a return for Kaffee.  If you get a return for Sun's
java, the rpm did re-make the $PATH.  If not, it didn't, so that's not the
problem.  If you get a "no java found" type error, then there is no java in
your path and you'll have to find where it is and add it.

A #which java    normally points to /usr/bin/java.  This may or may not be
correct for you, depending on the behavior of the rpm (I again defer to Tom).
I've removed Kaffee and with it the /usr/bin/java, so the path to the new
/java_directory/bin/java may need to be added.

I know this isn't much help, but the problem must be identified before it can
be corrected.  I repeat, I haven't used that rpm (I'm a tarball kinda guy),
so I do not know its behavior.

e.