On Saturday 04 January 2003 05:35, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 04 Jan 2003 6:09 am, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 15:53, Charles A Edwards wrote:

> > > They obviously have not seen the latest MandrakeClub Newsletter
> > >
> > > Begin quote:
> > >  *  Then there is the question of merging MandrakeForum and
> > > MandrakeClub. Most of the technical problems have already been solved,
> > > and within a few days
> > >
> > > MandrakeForum will be completely obsolete.
> > > To make sure that everyone who cares about Mandrakesoft and Mandrake
> > > Linux has an account on MandrakeClub, we will give away one month of
> > > free "trial" MandrakeClub membership to everyone who purchased anything
> > > from Mandrake Store in the past. These folks will have the possibility
> > > to either renew their membership, or at least keep the "alumni"
> > > membership for as long as they keep coming to MandrakeClub from time to
> > > time.
> > > End quote.
> > >

> > > To me every and anyone should be allowed to to visit the club anytime
> > > and as often as they like.
> > > Remember as visitors there are areas of the club to which they do not
> > > have access, but all forums and News should be available to everyone.
> > >

> > >     Charles
> >
> > Several observations here.  One, Denis's newsletter was not targeting
> > visitors; it was saying that those peeps that purchased from the
> > Mandrake store should be rewarded for their efforts.  Further, that the
> > reward would only be for the period of a month; and that is solely in
> > order that the new member be encouraged to invest in a membership, which
> > will greatly assist Mandrake in their public services.
> >
> > Second, nobody suggested that visitors be denied access.  My suggestion
> > is that visitors be encouraged to invest in either a club membership or
> > get a boxed set, depending of course on their individual finances.
> >
> > The gist of my point is that there *is* a freeloader problem out there
> > and it can only be addressed politely through community influence.  If
> > nobody takes any action at all then nothing's going to happen.
> >
> > --LX
>
> Having said all that, I don't always bother to log in - especially if it's
> only a quick pop-in.  Perhaps those of us that are members should take the
> trouble, so that at least the statistics are more realistic and one can be
> sure of the size of problem.
>
> Anne

With most modern browsers you can do site-specific cookie policies. In other
words, you could enable cookies only for those few domains that you trust,
and that you actually need them for, eg. Mandrakeclub. Makes life simpler
than logging in all the time.

Sascha

- --
Please encrypt all correspondence.