On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 23:50, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
>    Hi all,
>
> I, like a few others I am sure, need some clarification on the above
> packages.
>
> As I understand WINE is a WINdows Emulator but I am unsure what that
> enables me to do, ie just it just make a linux box seem like a Windows
> box for installing and running Windows applications. In theory therefore
> M$ Office could be installed and used on linux using WINE?

WINE allows me (or you) to run Windows native programs in the linux
environment. I can run MS Word by running:

wine /mnt/c-drive/"Program Files"/"Microsoft Office"/Office/winword.exe

or Solitaire with:

wine /mnt/c-drive/windows/sol.exe

> SAMBA seems to be the networking package between Windows and Linux. It
> enables printers to be shared and used across a network but it does not
> allow you the same functionality as WINE.

SAMBA allows you to connect to Windows SMB/NMB networks. Workgroups,
domains and the likes. It's quite often faster than NFS mounts, and
actually quite easy to setup. You can mount shares on Windows machines,
as well as setup shares on your linux box that Windows hosts can mount.

> VMWARE seems to be similar to WINE except that it allows that it allows
> using a Windows machine across a network and not actually installing M$
> software on Linux. I am unsure though if the SAMBA package also needs to
> be installed for allowing the connections between the connected boxes.

VMWare allows you to actually create a "virtual machine" - an
environment that runs "in a window" - you create a virtual machine, with
virtual RAM, a virtual hard drive, and install your preferred OS into
that virtual machine - hence allowing you to run WindowsXP in a window -
and have "virtual networking" so that you can share files between the
host OS and the "virtual machine".

> VNC allows the use of a remote machine and therefore is a slimmed down
> version of VMWARE?

VNC stands for "virtual network computing" - it allows you to literally
control the keyboard/mouse/screen on a remote computer. It is used
generally for support, or for accessing a desktop on another machine on
a network. Under linux, you can have a vnc server setup so that when
someone connects to your machine with vnc, they have their own linux
desktop - without interrupting the already running desktop sessions.

HTH!
Cheers for the New Years!

--
Mon Jan  6 08:55:00 EST 2003
  8:55am  up 1 day, 12:03,  6 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.24, 0.25

kuhn media australia - kma.0catch.com
stephen kuhn - katherine kuhn - berkeley, nsw, au
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
icq: 5483808 - mobile: 0410-728-389
-PC/Mac/Linux/Consulting/eMarketing-
 * linux user: 267497 * rh 7.3+ *
"I think Michael is like litmus paper - he's always trying to learn."
-- Elizabeth Taylor, absurd non-sequitir about Michael Jackson