On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 07:19:38AM -0600, Linus Drouhard wrote:
> I had used the ISP's mail servers but something "broke" in Linux.  I could not
> set up K-mail or Evolution to link to the ISP's SMTP servers.  I verified the
> problem was on my end by logging into Windows and using Outlook Express.
> After that, in a fit of desperation, I loaded up Sendmail, made it the
> "default" outgoing account in Kmail.  That works.  Has me stumped.
>
> I even tried uninstalling all KDE applications/core files and reinstalling.
> Same problem.  This started when I deleted the .kde directory from my home
> directory. KDE was locking up on me.  My son didn't have that problem when
> logging in as him, so I thought that something was broken in .kde.  I also
> get a LOT of segfaults in Kmail when I change the settings for the servers.
>
> Any insights are much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Linus

My advice is to ditch Kmail and use Sylpheed. Somebody else on the list
will be better qualified to help with your KDE problems--that sounds
like the place to start if you want to keep using Kmail.

Your box can use sendmail to send mail, but tell me, if you are getting
these mails, you must be able to connect to your ISP's server to
retrieve your mail. So it's just sending that doesn't work?

Off the top of my head, I'd verify that you've got the correct server
for sending mail. Also, try it with "requires authentication" checked
and then unchecked in your mail program.

Let us know what happens.

Todd