On Wednesday 08 January 2003 09:42, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi!,
>    I have been trying to change my login screen from kdm to gdm and also
> some other changes like changing the login screen background etc.But i
> seemed to have messed up my system.Now when i boot the boot operation goes
> well but on the login screen which is still kdm i see icons for some 10-15
> users like postfix,postgres etc.

open up kcontrol (as root)
go to system -> Login manager, then click the "users"
tab, and make sure the UID ranges and "do not show hidden users"
switches are correctly set up.

>In the desktop options there are only two
> options i.e. default,failsafe :) no gnome,kde.When i login using my account
> i see a xterm window on top left quarter of screen with no titlebar or
> scrollbar,though my mouse works, kde or gnome or any other desktop does not
> come up.if from this xterm window i give commands startkde or startgnome i
> can start kde and gnome and work with them.Logout or shutdown from
> graphical desktop takes me back to this xterm.if i close the xterm while in
> kde or gnome system takes me back to login screen.Also when i go to

Again, open up kcontrol as root, go to system -> login manager,
click on "sessions" tab, in the lower part of that pane add KDE, GNOME
and any other you like. My list looks like this:
(beware, this list is case sensitive, GNOME is not the same as Gnome).

KDE
GNOME
WindowMaker
Enlightenment
BlackBox
XFce
IceWM
failsafe
default
IceWM

> mandrake control center and click on users under system options ,it says
> files /etc/ptmp and /etc/gtmp exist and it does not open users options. How
> can i restore my system. Thx,
> Ashutosh

rm -f /etc/?tmp

HTH