Hello Milos,

>>>And, I presume, apache is listed as "httpd" when you issue "ps ax".
>> ??? apache is listed as httpd if I open localhost in Galeon

MP> "ps ax" is a command. You need a command line window (in other words a
MP> console or a terminal) to issue commands. Try to start console by
MP> clicking the icon "computer screen with a yellow shell". See the
MP> attached picture of the icon.

>>>How did you start apache?
>>
>> Via Galeon
>> Via apachect1 start in a terminal

MP> There is also a different way to start apache. As root, run
MP> "/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start" in terminal.
I'll try that.

>>>Which line did you change in httpd.conf?
>> Don't know by heart, tried 'all options'
MP> This is bad. Next time please write down your steps. It is difficult to
MP> help you otherwise.
The reason is that I answered your question at my work (windows) so I did
not have the oppertunity to open the conf files and give you the
changes. I'll do that soon -though not today-.

>>>- Do you need to login as root to browse localhost web pages?
>> I only get the default page and can not go any further from ther, that's the
>> problem I was trying to address

MP> Well, your original question was "Can I configure Apache for multiple
MP> users? SO I do not need to login as root (which is pretty risc-full with
MP> the GUI's".

MP> I do not know how to answer this question because it does not make sense
MP> to me. That's why I asked the other questions. A correct question is
MP> half of the answer :-)
Couldn't agree more, I'll keep that in mind next time!

MP> I will try to figure out the correct question:

MP> - apache is automatically multi-user. Anyone can browse webpages
MP> published by apache (unless specifically forbidden). This is similar to
MP> Microsoft IIS and other webservers. They also publish webpages for everyone.

MP> - only root can start apache manually ("/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start").

MP> - to start apache automatically when Linux starts, the root user must
MP> create a symlink that points from "/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd" to
MP> "/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S80httpd". You can also use a different number than 80,
MP> it just specifies process startup order. In other words you can create
MP> symlink to "/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S90httpd" if you prefer apache to start
MP> later. If this link exists, apache will start automatically next time
MP> you boot Linux.

MP> - If you do not know how to create symlink, learn how to do it. Issue
MP> "man ln" and concentrate upon the "ln -s" option. It is very useful to
MP> understand symlinks. It will help you with many aspects of Linux.
MP> Symlinks are like Windows "shorcuts", only more powerful.

MP> - If you absolutely refuse to learn symlinks, Mandrake allows you to do
MP> the same thing with your mouse. Start DrakConf, click System, click
MP> Services, and depress "On Boot" button in the httpd line.
I'll put some effort and time in this.

MP> Since this answer may be useful to other people, I posted it to Mandrake
MP> Newbie conference. In my opinion tt is better to keep the discussion there.
So I am not the only one who can't get this done ;)

Thanks for all your information.
Kind regards,
Erik Janssen