On Wednesday 08 Jan 2003 3:04 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > This solution worked for the installation, was able to install 9.0
> > beautifully, but now I can't actually log onto 9.0..goes blank when I
> > try. Got one problem fixed lol now to figure out the rest.
> >
> > Walt
>
> Hopefully Walt or anyone with the same problem can help me through this.
>
> I am referring to the K7VMM MoBo installation problem with Mandrake 9.0.
> I was about to follow the Mandrake 9.0 installation patch specified on
> their website (with the CTL/ALT/F2 etc...) and then noticed that although
> you (Walt) were able to successfully install it with this technique, it
> would not boot up anyway.
>
> Did you ever get this to finally boot up nicely?  If so, what did you need
> to do?  I on the same boat.... K7VMM mobo.
>
> I look forward to your response or anyone else whom has some input.
>
> Regards,
> Frank

Frank - this sounds familiar to me.  When I first set up 9.0 I could boot into
that, but not into 8.2.  After much help from the list I found that it
happened because I had a /boot directory in each install (which is what
happens if you don't make a separate /boot partition).  You need to know
which of those is being read by the boot process.  If you can't find out, try
this solution on both of them - it will do no harm, although only one of them
will be used.

In the old /boot directory,find the file called initrd-2.4.whatever and the
vmlinuz-2.4.whatever.  Copy them into the new /boot directory.  Do the same
the other way round, copying them from the new into the old.  You will end up
with two similarly named files for each, in my case initrd-2.4.18-6mdk.img
and initrd-2.4.19-16mdk.img, and the same for the vmlinuz entries.

Boot is only reading one of these, and it needs to be able to find both
versions, depending on which you choose in lilo.

HTH

Anne