Anne Wilson wrote:

On Wednesday 08 Jan 2003 7:41 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I am referring to the K7VMM MoBo installation problem with Mandrake 9.0.
I was about to follow the Mandrake 9.0 installation patch specified on
their website (with the CTL/ALT/F2 etc...) and then noticed that
although you (Walt) were able to successfully install it with this
technique, it would not boot up anyway.

Did you ever get this to finally boot up nicely? If so, what did you
need to do? I on the same boat.... K7VMM mobo.

I think I may have found the fix. I will let you know the results tonight.

Aparently the bug is common in many different ways (if that oxymoron makes
sense.)

All I have to do is boot off the installation cdrom with the "noapic"
option added before boot. Go through the standard installation but add
the "noapic" option in lilo.conf so that it is permanent. Supposingly it
should turn out with a "Viola!!", but we'll see. (Figures crossed)

According to the MandrakeForum, this should help diagnose most periphial
conflicts during startup without hindering its functionality from
thereafter.

Till we meet again.....

-Frank

When you say 'noapic' option added before boot, do you mean F1, then type noapic (and possibly more?) at a prompt? Or what? I'm interested, because I could not install onto an older system than this one, and thought this may be worth a try.

Anne

What does
noapic

mean anyway ?