On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 23:02:16 -0500
"Chad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've searched with Google and through the Newbie/Expert archives for this,
> but to no avail.
>
> On my parents stock LM 9.0 install, OpenOffice installed just fine and ran
> great for a while.  Now, when any user logs in at the desktop and starts up
> any OO application, the "File", "Edit", "Format", etc. menus are all gone.
> There is a space for them and the drop down menus still work, there are just
> no words in them.  It's tough to explain, so I took a screenshot with Gimp
> and posted it on my web site here:
>
>   http://dilbert.dnsalias.com/graphix/oo_menu_gone.jpg
>
> Now, I also use VNC to admin it remotely (from my bedroom to the family
> room).  When I start a VNC server (vncserver :5 -geometry 1024x768 -depth
> 16) and access the machine that way, I can start OO and the menus display
> fine.
>
> The only difference that I see is when using VNC, it's using VNC's X11
> server instead of XFree86.  The resolution is also different.  My parents
> use 800x600, depth 16.
>
> The things that I have tried are as follows:
>
> 1. When the problem first appeared, I shut down OO, logged out, restarted
> the X server, logged back in
> 2. Tried restarting the dm service
> 3. Tried removing the .openoffice directory from users home dir, then
> running OO
> 4. Tried rebooting the PC (years worth of Windows training taking over)
> 5. Tried removing the whole OO package, rebooting, re-installing
>
> None of the above have worked thus far.  I have some more ideas to try, but
> they are fairly in-depth.  No other application has this problem.  I'm about
> ready to wipe & re-install.  I have /home separate, so it won't be a real
> big deal.  Just the time to do it.  I would however like to find a solution
> to the problem.  I hate giving up and doing a re-install.
>
> I have been performing weekly updates through MDK Update.  Any bug fixes,
> security patches & normal upgrades I automatically download.  One of those
> might have been the culprit.
>
> The specs on the machine are: Compaq Deskpro, 233 MHz, 192 MB, 3.2 GB, S3
> Trio 64V2/DX (built-in) and Intel 82559 Ethernet (built-in).  If anybody
> needs any other hardware specs, let me know.
>
> Anybody run into something like this before?  Any solutions would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Chad

There was a thread about this in the December archives, but in short here are a few
things to try.

First, if you installed any version of freetype2 other than what came with Mandrake,
you will need to uninstall it and reinstall the original.  It seems that the later
versions of freetype2 are broken.

If that's not the case (or even if it is), you might try editing
/etc/openoffice/openoffice.conf and change the line that UI_FONT="AUTO" to something
like UI_FONT="Verdana" or something like that.  You may also have to change the
FONT_SCALING setting, too.  If the UI_FONT isn't set to "AUTO", you might try setting
it as such.

If neither of those work, you might check out www.ooodocs.org and see if anyone there
can help.

Joeb