On Thursday January 9 2003 10:02 pm, Chad wrote:

> On my parents stock LM 9.0 install, OpenOffice installed just fine
> and ran great for a while.  Now, when any user logs in at the
> desktop and starts up any OO application, the "File", "Edit",
> "Format", etc. menus are all gone. There is a space for them and
> the drop down menus still work, there are just no words in them.

Edit /etc/openoffice/openoffice.conf

# If set to "AUTO", ooffice will choose the UI font according to the
# current UI language, the first time you start in that
# language. Otherwise, this shall match the actual font name.
UI_FONT="arial"
         ^^^^^    and put arial here instead of AUTO, then save the
change.  OOo will then have text on the menus.

  Newer versions of openoffice also have this fixed