On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 05:01:10AM -0200, Ricardo Castanho de Oliveira Freitas wrote:
<snip>
> Talking about cultures.... Do you know any other country with such a
> multi-racial mix as Brazil?
>
> In the USA, they live together but, apart....they don't mix like here!
> This pluri-cultural background makes it easy for us to relate and learn any
> other culture.
>
> As mentioned on an USA magazine:"Brazil is a multi-racial melting pot"

Yes, we are brainwashed into thinking that the US is a melting pot, but
it really isn't, as you suggest. It's more like a cafeteria or pot-luck
plate (the kind with "compartments" for different foods). But then
again, if you could see my plate at a pot-luck dinner, my food pretty
much gets all mixed together!

Cuba, from what I understand, is pretty multi-racial, too. Most other
Latin countries seem to have a "clasismo" like the US; there may be
Indian, African, and European, but they don't much mix and one can
pretty much guess the social and economic status of a person by the
pigment of his or her skin.

Even on the television, many of the "exports" from Latin countries
reflect our (the US's) perverted idea of beauty. (I happen to have a
weakness for morenitas :)) Actually, I should say Madison Avenue's idea of
beauty.

Todd
<snip>