OK... the video quality still leaves much to be desired but..... I found out a way to
capture video

sample (680K) at http://supertrouper.servebeer.com/capture.avi

Here's what I did, so that it may help others at least with the capturing of video if
not for video quality (which i hope we can still work on getting xawtv 3.82 to work)
follows.

open xawtv, tune to a channel.
close xawtv.
open aumix and make sure all the volume sliders are all the way up and correct input
for sound is selected (for my sblive! it was Line)
in an xterm:
streamer -o capture.avi -f mjpeg -O capture.wav -F mono8 -C /dev/sound/dsp -t 40 -c
/dev/v4l/video0

where -o video filename -f is the video format -O is the audio file -F is the audio
format -C is the sound device, -c is the video device and -t is the time in seconds to
record.

now..... still working on the newest xawtv and i've tried adding a few -devel rpm's
but i don't know all the libraries xawtv NEEDS so i'm not sure which libraries i need
the -devel rpms of.  still working on that.  the make process doesn't tell you much :-L

--
Registered Linux User #300600
Registered Linux Machine #185855