I seem to have lost Stephen's original post on this, so perhaps he'd post the
link again.  Anyway, I did read it, and interesting reading it made.  For
those who didn't see it, it concerns the reasons for the lack of women in
computing in general and linux in particular, and what can be done about it.
This group is unusual in not falling into just about every trap on the list.

Two things that have really bugged me from time to time -

My husband, being totally uninterested in computing but kind hearted, from
time to time has taken me to computer shows - where I was usually looking
from the point of view of our small business.  I would ask a serious
question, and the rep would immediately turn to David to answer.  This is not
an isolated example, it happened over and over again.

The other thing is that, womanlike, when I have a problem I want to discuss
it.  By verbalising it I often see the way out of the problem, but if I
don't, I want further discussion that will help me learn.  I am sure it is
with the best of intentions, but the truth is that if this is in front of a
computer the man (and it is always a man - because there are so few women
interested <g>) takes over the keyboard and just does it.  I have learned
nothing, because it happened quickly and without explanation.  With  no prior
unix experience I tried to learn linux about three years ago, thinking my
son-in-law could help me, but I soon gave up, largely because of this.

I think I would probably have given up again, if it were not for this list -
so thanks, folks, for your patient explanations, even when it has taken two
or three goes to make me understand what's happening.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302