1/12/03 5:54:35 AM, Anne Wilson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I seem to have lost Stephen's original post on this, so
perhaps he'd post the
>link again.  Anyway, I did read it, and interesting reading it
made.  For
>those who didn't see it, it concerns the reasons for the lack
of women in
>computing in general and linux in particular, and what can
be done about it.
>This group is unusual in not falling into just about every trap
on the list.

>Two things that have really bugged me from time to time -
>
>My husband, being totally uninterested in computing but
kind hearted, from
>time to time has taken me to computer shows - where I
was usually looking
>from the point of view of our small business.  I would ask a
serious
>question, and the rep would immediately turn to David to
answer.  This is not
>an isolated example, it happened over and over again.
>
>The other thing is that, womanlike, when I have a problem I
want to discuss
>it.  By verbalising it I often see the way out of the problem,
but if I
>don't, I want further discussion that will help me learn.  I am
sure it is
>with the best of intentions, but the truth is that if this is in
front of a
>computer the man (and it is always a man - because there
are so few women
>interested <g>) takes over the keyboard and just does it.  I
have learned
>nothing, because it happened quickly and without
explanation.  With  no prior
>unix experience I tried to learn linux about three years ago,
thinking my
>son-in-law could help me, but I soon gave up, largely
because of this.

>I think I would probably have given up again, if it were not
for this list -
>so thanks, folks, for your patient explanations, even when it
has taken two
>or three goes to make me understand what's happening.
>
>Anne
>--
>Registered Linux User No.293302

    Hi Anne I understand your problem here with people
jumping in front of the keyboard and just fixing the problem
for you and I think that the same thing happens to men also
but maybe no where near as often.  There is only 1 thing you
can do, next time DO NOT be polite!!!  shout WHOOOA and
say WAIT dont fix that until I can see exactly what you are
doing!!! I want to be able to take care of this myself next
time.  I am sorry to say that this may have to be done
several times to any one person before the message sinks
in.  Old habits are hard to break and old thought patterns are
slow to change but your only option is to be even more set
in your ways than the person who jumped in front of the
keyboard.
    As far as the folks at computer shows, They are
salesmen. point out to them that you are the one that asked
the question and if they are going to make a sale they are
going to answer you not direct the answer to the person
standing next to you. When they realise that to get a sales
commision they are going to have to talk to you I would
guess that they will come around and if they dont explain to
them that they have just lost a sale and tell them why.
     Bottom line MONEY TALKS and let them know that you
are the one that controls the money spent on computer
items.  This may sound rude but if you think about it it is
just being honest and to the point.
   If it is any consolation my wife has some of the same
problems. Imangine a woman in a world full of lathes, milling
machines and welders. Some times when I am not around a
customer will come in and ask for me and if she tells them I
am not around they often say they will come back latter.
Sometimes she will grab a machine part from their hand and
say lets see what you got there I can have that taken care of
in no time. SHOCK VALUE !!  Sometimes they even learn
that they can even treat her like a intellagent live form and a
few even learn to respect her skills..
   I am afraid that if you are going to change the world you
will have to do it 1 person at a time.
   On the flip side of things look at it from the mans point of
view. It seems to me that about 9 out of 10 women dont
want to be bothered with the technical details and will go so
far as to tell you so. Bottom Line is that most men have
been conditioned to act the way that they do and a lot of the
conditioning has been done by women.

    Just my 2 cents worth
    Marc