On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 06:05:17 +0000
Len Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Have now got xine, ogle and mplayer installed and running under 8.2 on
> my Athlon 2200 with G-Force 2 card, thanks to urpmi and PLF (urpmi
> really rocks!), the first time ever for mplayer.  One problem, which
> may have been discussed in the list already, is a slight jerkiness in
> the display, which I assume has something to do with using the generic
> video driver rather than Nvidia's own.  It happens with all three
> programs whereas xine and ogle have always run very smoothly on my old
> 500 MHz Pentium III with the Voodoo 3 2000 card and Mandrake 8.1.
>
> Anyway, that is not the question.  Does the mplayer gui work for
> anybody?  It blows up my computer; a nasty clunk from the hard drive,
> a BSOD, and an empty error box, then nada.  Forced to reboot at that
> stage.  Tried gmplayer and gui=yes in the config file.  Both cause a
> problem.

Yes, it works here under LM 9.0, and worked before with 8.2, 8.0 and
even before that if I can remember correctly. I don't personally se it
though, but my girlfriend does...

Maybe the difference is that I build it myself, instead of installing
pre-compiled binaries which aren't suited to my system. There are long
and large warnings all over mplayer about binaries, and although they do
have a link now to some rpm's now, they still advise everyone to compile
it themselves. I would suggest this too. MPlayer is just too
system-sensitive, but in a good way as it provides a great, stable, fast
running media player;-)

I have a P3 800mh/z, but even on my P1 233mh/s I was sort-of able to
watch a DivX file ... without too my audio delay and stuttering frames.
Yeah it wasn't what I call a success, but it ran well still.

> Tried gmplayer and gui=yes in the config file.  Both cause a problem.

I don't think this is your problem. If you start from a console with
`gmplayer` .. read the warnings if there are any, it may just help you.

Do you have your codecs installed? If the binary of yours built using
libavcodec? libavcodec provides a great decoder / encoder for many
formats, much faster than the win32 codecs.

Just some ideas,
Ralph
--
http://tuxpower.f2g.net/
http://axljab.homelinux.org:8080/

"I have opinions of my own, strong opinions,
but I don't always agree with them." - George H. W. Bush