> On Wednesday 15 Jan 2003 1:21 pm, Angus Auld wrote:
> > Greetings, I did some updating of my Mdk 9.0 system with several of the
> > latest update packages from Mandrake Security......now I am accessing the
> > internet from my WinME system! :-(( I can't get internet access with kppp,
> > which is what I usually use to connect with my conexant hcf winmodem.
> > Something that I updated has hosed my winmodem.
> >
> > I have tried uninstalling the driver, reinstalling and reconfiguring....to
> > no avail. :-( When I configure the driver, I get these two unusual lines:
> > gawk: cmd. line:1 $2 == "20,00
> > gawk: cmd. line:1           ^unterminated string
> >
> > The rest of the configuration goes as normal, and I am informed I should be
> > able to access my modem as /dev/ttySHCFO
> >

> > Kppp will initialize the modem, dial the number, handshake, and then
> > seemingly connect and immediately disconnect w/SIGHUP. I have had excellent
> > results with this winmodem/driver all along. I can't finish installing the
> > rest of the updates w/o internet access.........
> >
> > I tried using wvdial, but it doesn't seem to recognize my modem.
> >
> > Based on this, I would issue caution to any conexant hcf winmodem users
> > out there who are updating with the latest packages from Mdk.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > TIA.
> >

> > --Angus
> >**********************
>Derek wrote:
> Ouch- nasty.  It is probably the update to kdenetwork which hosed you. I took
> a look at the package. It contains kppp, but does not contain any
> configuration files which might have overwritten your own. So maybe it is a
> bug in the new package.
>
> You might like to try going back to the old kdenetwork by CD ing to the
> directory on the Cd where it lives, and typing
> rpm -Uvh --oldpackage kdenetwork blah blah
>
> You might also have to use --nodep  It should be OK this RPM being a different
> version to the others.
>

> derek
Thanks so much Derek, I did what you said, in addition to uninstalling the updated
lisa package and reinstalling the old. (There were dependency issues with lisa when I
was installing the updates, so I thought I better turn it back to the older version
too).

I am back on the net with my winmodem! I will have to be more careful updating in the
future to watch for anything that my alter kppp.
Should this be reported as a bug??

What I had to do was this from within the mounted cd2 directory:
su'd and then issued this command:
"rpm -Uvh --oldpackage kdenetwork-3.0.3-15mdk.i586.rpm
kdenetwork-devel-3.0.3-15mdk.i586.rpm"
(plus the aforementioned lisa change from the updated lisa-3.0.5a-1.1mdk, back to
lisa-3.0.3-15mdk)

Thanks again Derek, you got me out of a jam. :-)
I really like this list!

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber