On Wednesday 15 Jan 2003 3:58 pm, Angus Auld wrote:
> > On Wednesday 15 Jan 2003 1:21 pm, Angus Auld wrote:
> > > Greetings, I did some updating of my Mdk 9.0 system with several of the
> > > latest update packages from Mandrake Security......now I am accessing
> > > the internet from my WinME system! :-(( I can't get internet access
> > > with kppp, which is what I usually use to connect with my conexant hcf
> > > winmodem. Something that I updated has hosed my winmodem.
> > >
> > > I have tried uninstalling the driver, reinstalling and
> > > reconfiguring....to no avail. :-( When I configure the driver, I get
> > > these two unusual lines: gawk: cmd. line:1 $2 == "20,00
> > > gawk: cmd. line:1           ^unterminated string
> > >
> > > The rest of the configuration goes as normal, and I am informed I
> > > should be able to access my modem as /dev/ttySHCFO
> > >

> > > Kppp will initialize the modem, dial the number, handshake, and then
> > > seemingly connect and immediately disconnect w/SIGHUP. I have had
> > > excellent results with this winmodem/driver all along. I can't finish
> > > installing the rest of the updates w/o internet access.........
> > >
> > > I tried using wvdial, but it doesn't seem to recognize my modem.
> > >
> > > Based on this, I would issue caution to any conexant hcf winmodem users
> > > out there who are updating with the latest packages from Mdk.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any ideas?
> > >
> > > TIA.
> > >

> > > --Angus
> > >**********************
> >
> >Derek wrote:
> > Ouch- nasty.  It is probably the update to kdenetwork which hosed you. I
> > took a look at the package. It contains kppp, but does not contain any
> > configuration files which might have overwritten your own. So maybe it is
> > a bug in the new package.
> >
> > You might like to try going back to the old kdenetwork by CD ing to the
> > directory on the Cd where it lives, and typing
> > rpm -Uvh --oldpackage kdenetwork blah blah
> >
> > You might also have to use --nodep  It should be OK this RPM being a
> > different version to the others.
> >

> > derek
> >*********************************************************
>
> Thanks so much Derek, I did what you said, in addition to uninstalling the
> updated lisa package and reinstalling the old. (There were dependency
> issues with lisa when I was installing the updates, so I thought I better
> turn it back to the older version too).
>
> I am back on the net with my winmodem! I will have to be more careful
> updating in the future to watch for anything that my alter kppp. Should
> this be reported as a bug??
>
> What I had to do was this from within the mounted cd2 directory:
> su'd and then issued this command:
> "rpm -Uvh --oldpackage kdenetwork-3.0.3-15mdk.i586.rpm
> kdenetwork-devel-3.0.3-15mdk.i586.rpm" (plus the aforementioned lisa change
> from the updated lisa-3.0.5a-1.1mdk, back to lisa-3.0.3-15mdk)
>
> Thanks again Derek, you got me out of a jam. :-)
> I really like this list!
>
> --Angus
>
> "Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in
> [...]

Glad you are back in the land of Penguins :)
When I saw your post I was torn between sympathy for having a screwed kppp, or
sympathy for using Windows Me  It was Win Me that drove me to Linux. I was so
disgusted when I paid good money for an upgrade from Win98 to WinMe and found
it was even worse than Win98, that I started trying out Linux distros. After
a short time I discovered Mandrake 8.0 and was gobsmacked at how good it was
:)

Couple of points -:
You only need the kdenetwork-devel RPM if you are planning on compiling any
KDE applocations. Otherwise you can remove it. (Same goes for any other
-devel RPMs)

It may be a bug, by all means report it.

An alternative way of dialling is by pressing the "Internet" icon
(net_monitor) on your desktop. That opens up net_monitor. Pressing on the
'Connect' button will dial for you, so long as you completed the networking
wizard in Mandrake Control Centre. If you want to be able to run net_monitor
as non root there is a Howto on my web page.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net