Len,

Thanks for all of your help. I now have mplayer working (sort of), AND keeping my settings! :-)

What isn't quite working yet is the audio. I put in a DVD that we have lying around here at the office (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), and the movie started to play. I didn't get the DVD navigation menu like I had expected (is there a separate package for this? or does mplayer not even support it?), and the audio track was that of the director's commentary, and not the movie audio track. How can I go about fixing these?

Thanks again Len! :-)

Len Lawrence wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:14:46 -0500

Sorry to hear that you are having so much difficulty with these applications.
Each newer version of these multimedia programs seems to get more difficult to
install and get running but that is the price you pay for greater functionality
and improved performance. Ogle always seems to be easier to manage, but its
gui is not fully functional - several dead buttons.

I installed Mandrake's xine from the 8.2 download CDs so kindly provided by Shane
and had endless trouble trying to get it going by downloading RPMs and doing
rpm -ivh installs. Urpmi certainly makes life easier and so does PLF. Needless
to say I cannot remember exactly what the prescription was for xine but it
involved libxine, xine-gui, win32 codecs and xine-plugins. Have you tried
invoking it with the command "xine -s DVD dvdnav://" or "xine -pq -s DVD
dvdnav://" to play immediately and quit when finished? There are other things
to check like the settings in ~/.xinerc and the rawdevices service (which
is probably running by default) and /dev/dvd. Then there are the skins - haven't sorted that one out yet.

The same goes for mplayer. Poked around on the PLF site to see what was
available and, like you, downloaded several packages. Had trouble choosing
a video driver but x11 worked. If your settings don't stick maybe you need to
create a ~/.mplayer/config file (copy from /etc/mplayer.conf perhaps?).
It works on DVDs for me with "mplayer -dvd 1" (or 2 or 3...).
Also, there is a short tutorial on the net about getting DVDs to play under one or other of these applications, reported on this list very recently:
http://www.trylinuxsd.com/dvd/
Maybe you have already seen that.

Sorry if this does not help. I have been shooting in the dark a lot lately.

--
Terry Sheltra
PC Technician/Network Administrator