On Wednesday 15 January 2003 01:53 am, Mark Weaver wrote:

> > > you mean the drive itself couldn't handle the 700MB
> > > media? thats a new one for me, although I'm not
> > > saying it can't happen.
> > > - --
> > > Mark
> >
> > Exactly, Mark. I repeated the fiasco on my laptop,
> > same thing happened. Went back to 8.2, no problem
> > there ! It seems Mandrake made the .iso's hit the
> > roof.
>
> As I recall when 9.0 came out there was quite a lot of
> discussion on the lists as to why this came about, but I
> don't recall as to the why of it all. What speed did you
> burn the iso's at?
> - --
> Mark

 I didn't burn the iso's myself but got them from a danish,
but very efficient (and cheap) reseller
( http://www.linuxpusher.dk )
because I think it is best for Mandrake to support them by
club membership ( silver, actually ) rather then ordering
a full box ( thus sparing them the cost ).

However, a quick look at a FTP-mirror tells me that

MDK 9.0 ISO CD1 is 694.6 MB
MDK 8.2 ISO CD1 is 650.0 MB

and I'm pretty convinced that my old CD-reader chokes at
everything above 650 MB.

Kaj Haulrich
Denmark.