> I wrote to Jaques le Marois when I heard that Civileme was to be booted and
> received a snotty reply for my trouble. I certainly agree with you about
> the contribution that Todd makes, but I'm not sure that Mandrake  are
> sophisticated enough to value the opinions of their customers (look at the
> Mandrakestore debacle).

If a CEO cares about his company and has to make decisions about redundancies
he is already hurting - believe me, I know.  To have an outsider who does not
know the problems nor have to deal with them telling him how to deal with the
situation is at best unhelpful - and I can guarantee that it will increase
the hurt.  The reply you got may not have helped the situation, but, by god,
it is understandable in human terms
True, but it does highlight one point. It isn't the product, the CEO or anything of that sort that makes a business successful; it's the customers. This is particularly important in so-called high-tech areas, where customers/users are frequently dismissed as a bunch of ignorant fools. There's an old movie, "Tron", in which the main character is sucked into a computer where he interacts with applications that take the form other people. At one point he's talking with an accounting package and insisting that he isn't a program; he's a user. The package replies, "Really? My mother used to tell me about users, but I thought it was simply a myth." The further a business goes down that road, the more problems they'll have to deal with. Eventually they become bankrupt (or micro$haft).

Ken
---