As I understand it, in some states at least, just "not making a profit" is not
enough to quailfiy as a "non-profit". this is generally to prevent companies
from being able to claim "non-profit" and still be competing with companies
that are required to make a profit ( some might even claim "unfairly").
 Not only that, most states tax companies profits, and therefore have an
interest in seeing that either a company profit (and thusly pay taxes) or
disappears.
so unless there would be some "redeming quality for the greater community" a
"non-profit" producing a computer Operating System for sale at retail
outlets, might not be a "real" choice.
I would also ask if someone on newbie with a 24/7 connection and a mail server
might be willing to start a "backup newbie mail listserver", on the off
chance that oneday we wake up and find this one gone to the way of the
courts. Does anyone know who pays for thisones bandwidth/location and power?
Since I ass-u-me it is MandrakeSoft Inc., it is possible that one day a judge
says, turn it off,,,, and their may not be much or any notice. (any more than
we have already had). I would hate to loose all the good folks I have had the
pleasure to communicate with here.