Hello!
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:51 pm, civileme wrote:
> On Thursday 16 January 2003 06:04 am, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> > What is the correct lilo.conf entry for Windows2K on a second hard disk
> > (/dev/hdc)?  W2K is the only OS on that disk and there is only one
> > partition on that disk.
> AFAIK there is NO correct entry for that situation.  I don't believe the
> win2K bootloader will handle that.
Yes and no (see below).

> Your LILO entry is correct if win2K would actually boot from other than the
> first IDE device.  Frankly, as I remember I was flagged by the windows
> installer when a customer asked for that setup and it told me Windows had
> to be (at least partially) on the first disk, so the installation is a good

AFAIK you're correct, the first hard disk needs to have ntdetect.com, ntldr
and a boot.ini installed for windows 2000 to boot. However, once those files
are there you can boot from any hard disk. A typical boot.ini entry might be:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT.0="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional -NT5" /fastdetect

Of course NT setup would create the appropriate settings; you might for
example have Windows98 or even DOS installed, Command Console et al.
So win2k can only boot from the first device, but can be mainly installed
elsewhere...
> question...  Did you install windows in that position?  I remember
> installing windows on other than /dev/hda in an IDE setup, but that was
> with /dev/hda known to the BIOS as an LS120, and in that case linux and
> windows booted off of /dev/hdc which was the first genuine hard drive.
>
> Civileme

> People "curse and fix it" according to one vehement linux critic.
I hope you're not talking about me =P

Regards,
        _nasturtium