On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 08:31, Russ wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When I login to GNOME I get this error message before it loads;
>
> Could not look up internet address for (my computer name used to log
> onto attbi's cable network). This will prevent GNOME from operating
> correctly. It may be possible to correct this by adding (my computers
> name) to the file /etc/hosts.
>
> It then gives me two choices "login anyway" and "Try again". I choose
> "Login anyway" and Gnome loads fine and everything seems to work just
> fine.
>
> None of the others do this. Anyone know what GNOME's hangup is here? If
> I added that to the hosts file would it mess up the rest of them?
>
> Thanks

I believe (from reading through the Gnome2 BS...) that it's something to
do with the VFS that Gnome2 uses and it's tie to proxy-ing...strange,
since Gnome 1.4 was happy no matter what IP you used - or changed to -
but with Gnome2, I've tested several times and actually "broke" Gnome2
by changing IP's and also when going from a static IP to a DHCP leased
IP...still no fix in site yet...as per the Gnome2 lists...rather sucks
because it will eventually cause the performance of Gnome2 to degrade to
such a point of taking upwards of 3-4 minutes for the damn desktop to
even load - then another 2 minutes for the damn wm to load...I guess
KDE's looking better all the time...

--
Mon Jan 20 17:40:01 EST 2003
  5:40pm  up 4 days,  3:23,  6 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.06, 0.07

To add insult to injury.
                -- Phaedrus