On Monday January 20 2003 11:01 am, Wei Wang wrote:

> I am not sure if this is hardware related or OS related. I have
> Mandrake 9.0 on my Pentium 4 M 1.8Ghz laptop. Now the complete
> kernel compiling make clean bzImage modules

   make dep clean bzImage        ~ 5 mins.
   time make modules             ~ 38 mins.
   make modules_install install  ~ 1 min.

   On a 1.4 gig Athlon.  But it's always 1.4 gig ...

> takes 80 minutes to finish. Every "gcc" stays on the screen for a
> second or so that you can read almost every one of them. Is it
> normal? The gcc is version 3.2.

  ... your laptop (mobile cpu) isn't always 1.8 ghz. It slows down
under load.  A P3 would probly be faster too.  So yes, it's a
hardware deficiency ... get a real computer ;~>