On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 04:01, Wei Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if this is hardware related or OS related. I have Mandrake 9.0
> on my Pentium 4 M 1.8Ghz laptop. Now the complete kernel compiling
> make clean bzImage modules
>
> takes 80 minutes to finish. Every "gcc" stays on the screen for a second or so that
>you can read almost every one of them. Is it normal? The gcc is version 3.2.
>
> Is there anything that I can do to speed it up? I know I could omit some modules
> to speed it up but I just want to know how long the compiling takes on your machine.
>
> BTW, if it is hardware related, is there any software that can detect the current
>running frequency of the CPU?
>

> Cheers,
>
> We

Part of the issue in the compiling of the kernel is how you chose to set
the kernel up. If the setup has to recompile thousands of modules and
the likes, it could take quite a bit of time - but yeah, 80 minutes does
sound a bit strange...

Prior to doing this, have you taken the time to try to tune or optimise
your system before doing the kernel compile? Very helpful to do this...

--
Tue Jan 21 07:05:00 EST 2003
  7:05am  up 4 days, 16:48,  5 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.13, 0.14

The leaves were long, the grass was green,
The hemlock-umbels tall and fair,
And in the glade a light was seen
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tin'uviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of stars was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering.

There Beren came from mountains colds,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

Enchantment healed his weary feet
That over hills were doomed to roam;
And forth he hastened, strong and fleet,
And grasped at moonbeams glistening.
Through woven woods in Elvenhome
She lightly fled on dancing feet,
And left him lonely still to roam