On Tuesday 21 Jan 2003 8:11 pm, civileme wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 January 2003 10:57 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Once again I am encountering spontaneous re-boots in Star/OpenOffice.  It
> > feels as though I hit some sort of ceiling, out of some resource.  There
> > must be some way I can see what's going on?
> >
> > I know Althlon 900 is not high spec these days, but it's not that bad.
> > And with 512 Mb RAM I wouldn't have expected problems.
> >

> It is more likely a problem with your hardware and the kernel's
> implementation of APIC,  which is by no means universal in scope yet.
>
> Try booting with linux noapic  (esc at the boot screen then type in "linux
> noapic" without the quotes and enter.
>
> If that solves the problem, add a "noapic" to the append line of each linux
> boot in your boot configuration.

In my dismay I wrongly described it - I should have said sponataneous logouts,
not re-boots.  However, I am trying your solution at this moment, so we'll
see if it helps.

I had Gnome Monitor running just before it went down, and nothing looked
untoward then.   I'll let you know what happens.  Thanks

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302