On Wednesday 22 Jan 2003 2:56 am, Steve Jeppesen wrote:
> Howdy list members,
>
> I recently merged our home firewall/router and fileserver into one
> computer using mandrake 9.0 (with latest updates).  Because I am not
> sure if I should use a lower level of msec, I set it to 4 because of the
> recommendations given during the install stating that was level to
> choose for a server.
>
> Now we do not have any thing secret or worth hacking into ....and just
> to be safe we are not hiding any plans for weapons of mass destruction
> on it either in case GWB is a member here (like yeah right!) so is it
> really worth while keeping it on msec level 4? BTW, we are on a cable
> connection here 24/7/365 and I am using Firestarter for the firewall
> which nmap'ing from the outside shows it is doing it's job.
>
> The problem I am having now, is that samba is installed and is allowing
> users into their home directories and allows other M$ clients to see
> the other shared folders - just not any of the files in those folders.
> The shared files/folders are located in /mnt/shared which shouldn't be a
> problem right?
>
> The samba log for "moms" computer shows;
> [2003/01/21 20:30:51, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(599)
>   moms (192.168.1.252) Can't change directory to /mnt/shared/southpark
> (Permission denied)
>
> Before merging the two servers together, I had samba configured with
> just individual users...since this problem has arised, I have created a
> smbusers group and added all users to that section in /etc/group and
> changed ownership of all shares except homes to smbusers....still no go
>
> Just a few mins ago, I found (serious newbie here!) a file;
> /etc/security/fileshare.conf which has one line in it which reads;
> RESTRICT=yes
>
> Does anybody know if having msec level 4 interfers with file sharing
> with samba?  If so, is it possible to change the above mentioned file to
> read RESTRICT=no and also be able to keep msec level 4?
>
> Or should I downgrade to level 3?
>
> Or should I just give up and go out and empty my wallet for uncle Billy
> and go back to M$?  Smacking me upside the head and flaming welcomed
> here to get my senses back!
>
> BTW, with the old setup when the fileserver was its own entity,
> filesharing worked like a charm and I ended up reusing all the old smb
> conf files...modified for the new network setup...apparently not enough
> yet though.
>
> If I need to I can post any thing to help with this...but I believe it
> to be a file owner/permission problems...of which I have tried to fix
> via opening up ports 137, 138 and 139 on the firewall (no good) changed
> owner ship to smbusers (no go) and even set all shares
> read/write/execute (no go)
>
> TIA for any suggestions or advise
> Steve

A quick look at MandrakeControlCentre>Security>SecurityPermissions shows that
at level 4 the /mnt folder has permissions of 750 root:adm meaning that
ordinary users do not even have the right to read them.

At level 3 /mnt has permissions 755 root:root so they may be read by anyone,
but not written to.

So you can either reduce your level (Personally I run at level 2) or else
select the 'Editable ' dropdown and write your own override to the selected
level.

Another option is to keep your shared files in somewhere they can be accessed
in level 4  like /var

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net