On Thursday 23 Jan 2003 9:58 am, Vaessen, E.M.J. (Ed) wrote:
> I installed Mandrake 9.0 on my PC, that is connected to my internet
> provider via an ADSL USB modem.
> I don't have a network, just a simple PC.
> The security level was put to 'high' during installation, but I don't know
> at all to what extend I am protected against what. But I am online during
> many hours a day and I guess hat this makes security more and more
> important.
> I delved through many internet pages dealing with firewall and security
> information but they very often deal with setting up a firewall for
> computer on a network.
>
> Does anyone know where to find information about configuring security on a
> single PC?
>
> Ed Vaessen

This is a good place to start.
http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/msec.php
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/doc/90c/en/Server_Conf_Guide.html/security.html

For a desktop system 'High' is probably too high a security level. You will
find the system will not let you do what appears to be innocent things.
If you are coming from the Windows world 'Standard' security is already much
higher than you had before.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net