et  asked what package I was trying to install.

Thanks for your reply. It is Phoenix from the Texstar site.

On Saturday 25 Jan 2003 2:14 pm, David Robertson wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 14:05, Keith Powell wrote:
> > I have just spent about two and a half hours downloading a package and
> > all its dependencies, using MCC Install Software.
> >
> > When it tried to install the packages, it couldn't, saying that there was
> > an installation fault. It then abandoned the installation.
> >
> > How can I find out what the fault was, please, in the hope that I can
> > prevent it happening in the future?
> >
> > Secondly, /var/cache/urpmi/rpms is now empty. Does this mean that I have
> > to start all over again with another two and a half hours download? This
> > second download may be faulty as well.
> >
> > Five hours downloading is half the weekly length of time I can be
> > connected!
> >
> > For information, the package was the Texstar Phoenix. I have heard some
> > good reports about Phoenix and would like to try it.
> >
> > I am feeling very frustrated at the failure of the installation!
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Keith
>
> Did the installer not give you a reason for the failure of the
> installation, such as a package conflict? I am afraid you will need to
> download again, but you could do this from the command line and add the
> "--noclean" option: that way, the downloaded packages will stay in
> /var/cache/urpmi/rmps. For example, as root:
>
> urpmi phoenix --noclean
>
> HTH
>
> David

David.

Thanks for your reply and the --noclean information.

I have done some investigating, and it appears that Phoenix and Phoenix-java
were not installed. The other packages it needed, were installed.

So, I have downloaded just these two again and installed them separately. The
Phoenix package installed, but the java package wouldn't install. It said
that there was a size mismatch - whatever that means.

Phoenix now runs, but I assume that it is without Java. I haven't had a chance
to use it and find out.

The installer did not mention any package by name, it merely said that there
was a download error.

I hope that Phoenix is worth trying, after all this trouble!

Cheers

Keith