On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 01:05, Keith Powell wrote:
> I have just spent about two and a half hours downloading a package and all its
> dependencies, using MCC Install Software.
>
> When it tried to install the packages, it couldn't, saying that there was an
> installation fault. It then abandoned the installation.
>
> How can I find out what the fault was, please, in the hope that I can prevent
> it happening in the future?
>
> Secondly, /var/cache/urpmi/rpms is now empty. Does this mean that I have to
> start all over again with another two and a half hours download? This second
> download may be faulty as well.
>
> Five hours downloading is half the weekly length of time I can be connected!
>
> For information, the package was the Texstar Phoenix. I have heard some good
> reports about Phoenix and would like to try it.
>
> I am feeling very frustrated at the failure of the installation!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Keith

What I've seen - and found - is that sometimes a package THINKS it's
broken when in fact it's really not - same with dependencies - a
package, if it can't necessarily FIND it's dependencies will assume it
needs them (again) and will TRY to put itself together accordingly.

In order to fully bypass this issue, I always (recommend) that the
library paths are checked in the /etc/ld.so.conf file - and a re-run of
ldconfig be done prior to getting further.

The file, /etc/ld.so.conf contains the library paths - which programs
are dependent on. If the particular library path is NOT being searched,
logically, the program decides it can't go further.

My /etc/ld.so.conf file looks like this:

/usr/kerberos/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt2/lib
/usr/lib/sane
/usr/lib/qt-1.45/lib
/usr/lib/wine
/usr/lib/mysql
/usr/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/lib
/usr/local/java/lib
/usr/local/qt3-gcc2.96/lib
/usr/local/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.0/post
/usr/lib/OpenOffice.org1.0/program
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/lib/
/opt/quasar/firebird/lib
/opt/quasar/sybase/lib

...the most important to have in here are /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib -
aside from the other directories. Once modifications have been made to
this file, you must run "ldconfig" to rebuild the path cache. If you can
get to that point, then you can try your package again and see if it
works better - or at least with few dependencies.

--
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:00:00 +1100
 10:00am  up 9 days, 19:43,  4 users,  load average: 2.37, 1.47, 0.78

'An appointment is an engagement to see someone, while a morningstar is a large lump
of metal used for viciously crushing skulls. It is important not to confuse the two.'
(Men at Arms)