I posted on this not too long ago... it's in the archives in December

basically what you need to do is:  use xawtv to tune to the channel you want to
record, close xawtv, then use the "streamer" command (see man streamer) to record.  (I
have my tv cable hooked to my computer and a television sitting next to the desk so i
can monitor recording there.)

I'll see if i can dig up the command I used and post it for you.

I could not find a way to use the xawtv gui to record with.

SNIP

> When I open the recording window and try to click record I get
>
>   "grabbing: not supported"
>
> Any pointers on what I should look at next getting the v4l part to compile
> without error?
> --
> magnet
SNIP