On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:51:22 +0200
Vahur Lokk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello!
> I happen to have a rather largish LP collection gathering dust for almost a
> decade since the player broke.
> Now I thought it would be cool to somehow digitize it all and acquired old
> grammophone (is this the right word?). Connected it to my soundcard.
>
> But nothing. No sound in speakers, no sound in files saved (K Sound Recorder
> used). So where to look for mistakes? And what kind of software I actually
> should use for my purposes?
>
> Wahur

Having spent weeks putting LP's onto cd's i hope i can offer some tips.

is the phonograph a componant to a system or is it one of those old console
AM/FM/Phonograph/tape players?

If it's a componant:  get an amp with a phono-in jack and an audio-out or tape-out
jack (these can be picked up in 2nd hand stores for cheap).  Hook the phono jacks to
the amp.  Go to your local electronics store and get a patchcord that has a
"headphone" type stereo jack on one end and whatever kind of jack the amp has for its
audio-out jacks (usually RCA jacks).  Plug the headphone jack into the "line in" on
the sound card and the "audio-out" or "tape-out" jack on the amp.  open aumix or
similar mixer ap on the computer, make sure "line in" is selected for recording and
adjust the volume level so that you can hear the phonograph playing through your
computer speakers without distortion then start recording.

If it's a console system, use the headphone jack (you may need an adapter if it has
the 1/4" headphone jack) and a patchcord with the 1/8" stereo headphone jacks on both
ends.  turn the volume almost all the way down.  open aumix or similar mixer ap on the
computer, make sure that "line-in" is selected for recording and turn the "line-in"
volume ALL THE WAY UP.  Play one of the LP's and adjust the volume on the stereo so
that you can hear the LP through your computer speakers without distortion.

Fire up your sound recording program and have fun!

btw, there are a couple of aps out there for working with LP's
"gramophile" i think is the name of one of them.  It was included in 8.2, it may be in
the contribs for 9.0 or maybe even on the install cd's (haven't checked, personally)
plus there are wave editors like audacity to help you work with the sound file.

Jerry.

--
 _||_
  (o_